Bankruptcy Attorney Walter Metzen's Profile
In 20 years of practicing personal bankruptcy in Detroit, I have represented thousands of consumers needing a fresh financial start with the help of the United States Bankruptcy Court. I am one of only a few Consumer Bankruptcy Specialists in Michigan as Certified by the American Board of Certification. My team of bankruptcy attorneys pride ourselves in giving personal attention to our clients. Our law firm primarily represents individuals and small businesses, not large corporations. The firm believes that bankruptcy is an honest solution and offers a free initial consultation.
I received my law degree or JD in 1991 from the University of Detroit and my undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Criminalistics degree in 1987 from Michigan State University. I am licensed to practice in the State of Michigan and and before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, as well as the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern and Western District of Michigan. I am a member of the Michigan Bar, the American Bar Association, the Consumer Bankruptcy Association, the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, Inc., the American Bankruptcy Institute, and the Debtor's Bar Association of Detroit Michigan.
Memberships and Affiliations
All associate attorneys at my office have also successfully assisted thousands of clients with their bankruptcy filings. We maintain close communication with our clients by being readily available in person (walk-in times everyday), by telephone by fax and by email. We are not the largest law firm in Detroit. We are not the largest bankruptcy law firm in Michigan, nor do we want to be. What we do have is a dedicated, experienced staff that will provide you with attentive, personalized service. We do not believe that bigger is necessarily better. We strive to know the law and know the Bankruptcy Court system. We study the Bankruptcy Code, the Bankruptcy rules and the Local Bankruptcy Rules for the Eastern District of Michigan. We know the Bankruptcy Judges the Chapter 7 Trustee's and the Chapter 13 Trustee's. We know the other local bankruptcy attorneys and we can guide you through any bankruptcy proceeding. We stay current in the latest developments in all our areas of practice and frequently attend seminars, bankruptcy conferences and workshops to maintain the highest level of bankruptcy law counseling as possible.
At my office, the attorney you speak with is the attorney who will go to Bankruptcy Court with you. At my office, you will not be treated as one more case in a huge bankruptcy factory...but you will be given personal attention and good old fashioned legal services...where you can talk to your attorney and paralegal when you need to. We have a reputation in the Metro Detroit area for providing our clients with superior service at the lowest possible cost, keeping in mind the client's needs for honest, and experienced legal knowledge and service, while maintaining the lowest fees possible. Our philosophy is to provide the client with honest advice, whether bankruptcy is appropriate for the client or not, and to stand up for our client's best interests. You can expect us to communicate with you every step of the way, and explain to you all of our recommendations. Our goal is to provide each client with quality legal services and excellent communication at a reasonable fee.
We offer free consultations, over the phone, the internet, or in person. The office is conveniently located just one-block from the US Bankruptcy Court in Detroit Michigan to better serve you. Because of our close proximity to the Bankruptcy Court, we can file your case the same day if needed to immediately stop foreclosure, car repossession, utility shut off (gas, phone or electric) and stop those creditor calls!
We are focused on serving our clients. Our professional calling is to our clients and only our clients, on a full-time basis, to the best of our abilities. We strive to render bankruptcy legal services which are high quality, ethical, and honest, and which bring positive results. We fight for our client's rights in court. We explain the law to our clients as it affects your case. We promptly return our phone calls and answer your questions and keep you informed of the status of your case. We are fair to our clients. We fully disclose the fee basis on which your case will be taken at the beginning. We strive to keep costs as low as possible. All attorneys are highly trained in the use of computer-based office systems and legal research resources. We attend all major bankruptcy seminars and are up to date on our continuing legal education. We use state-of-the-art technology including, Bestcase Bankruptcy software which enables us to electronically file your case immediately and can constantly monitor and review your case via the United States Bankruptcy Court's Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) system.
A Word from Walter
"I am the last person that most of clients want to see. Most of them have done absolutely everything in there power to avoid bankruptcy; from borrowing from other credit cards, borrowing against their house, borrowing against their pension, borrowing from friends and relatives and even consumer credit counseling. The purpose of this site is to counsel people in this situation and offer them an alternative to 'borrowing'. The reason for this is that continuous 'borrowing' adds to continuous 'borrowing', which almost always leads to a worse financial problem. Clients will do almost anything to avoid seeing me. But, all that usually does is put them into a worse position then had they come to see me in the first place. Further, these people that try so hard to avoid seeing me are the same people that tell me how relieved they are that I can resolve their financial situation." "We represent the working class - so you won't find us wasting your time! We promise to be fast, efficient, and effective." "Since we represent people who work, we understand your situation. Therefore, if you need time to pay your fees, we will take payments - for up to three months - you set the amount."
- High School Diploma, Milford High School, Milford MI., June 1981
- Bachelor of Science, Criminalistics and Forensic Science, Michigan State University, June 1987
- Juris Doctor, University of Detroit School of Law, 3.7 GPA, Class Rank: 1st in Class, December1991
- Michigan Higher Education Award for Academic Excellence.
- Michigan Jurisprudence Award (Book awards-Torts, Civil Procedure, Insurance Law).
- Dean's List all terms of attendance in Law School.
- Dean's Scholarship for Academic Excellence, University of Detroit School of Law.
- State of Michigan Bar Association.
- US District Court for the Eastern and Western District of Michigan Federal Bar
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- ABI Fourth Annual Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City MI., June 1997-12 Hrs.
- Bankruptcy Practice 1998 Seminar, PESI Inc., Novi MI, May 1998-7 Hrs.
- ABI 5th Annual Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI- June 1998-12 Hrs.
- New Local Bankruptcy Rules Seminar, Oakland County Bar Association, Birmingham MI, September, 1998-3.5 Hrs.
- Bankruptcy Practice 1999 Seminar, PESI Inc., Novi MI, April 1999-7 Hrs.
- ABI 6th Annual Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI- June 1999-12 Hrs.
- Chapter 13 Seminar, Consumer Bankruptcy Association and Office of the Chapter 13 Standing Trustee-Detroit, Troy MI- September 1999-7 Hrs.
- ABI Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 2000-8.75 Hrs.
- National Business Institute Advanced Consumer Bankruptcy Issues in Michigan, Southfield, MI.-October, 2000-7 Hrs.
- National Business Institute Advanced Consumer Bankruptcy Issues in Michigan, Southfield, MI.-October, 2001-7 Hrs.
- Local Bankruptcy Seminar, Consumer Bankruptcy Association 2002 Seminar, Troy MI- March 2002-5.7 Hrs.
- NACBA-National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys Tenth Annual Convention/Seminar, April 26-28, 2002, Las Vegas NV.-11 CLE Hrs.
- ABI 2002 Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 2002-8.75 Hrs
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association-CBA, Michigan Public Act 123, November 13,2002-2 Hrs.
- LAW 314 SEC. 75-Winter Semester January 2003 to May 2003: Course Title DEBTOR-CREDITOR (Creditors Rights and Debtors Remedies, Instructor Timothy Fusco, 3 Semester Credit Hours, University of Detroit-Mercy School of Law (evening section). 45 Hours. total.
- FAMILY LAW ISSUES IN CONSUMER BANKRUPTCY SEMINAR: April 23, 2003. 1.5 hours.
- ABI 2003 Central States 10th Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 2003-8.25 CLE Hrs
- Oakland Mediation Centers CONFLICT MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP, Jan. Feb. 2004. 8 Hrs. (Non CLE)
- Bankruptcy Mortgage Financing/Refinance Out of Chapter 13-Vision Mortgage Workshop, 4-30-04m 2 Hrs
- ABI 2004 Central States 10th Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 2004-8.25 CLE Hrs
- Consumer Bar Association: Ultimate Introductory Bankruptcy Seminar, June 11, 2004-4.25 Hrs
- Raising The Bar On USBC Professionalism. Oakland Mediation Center, July 30th, 2004-4 Hrs
- New Bankruptcy Code Seminar, Cobo Center Detroit, MI June 3, 2005, 1:00pm to 4:00pm -4 Hrs
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2005 Central States 12th Annual Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 16-19th 2004-8.5 CLE Credit Hrs.
- Understanding the Radical Bankruptcy Code Changes: Consumer Bankruptcy Under the New Code: Commercial Law League of America and its Bankruptcy Section Fund (Telephonically recorded), June 23, 2005-2 Hrs
- Understanding the New Bankruptcy Reform Act: What Every Lawyer Needs to Know-ICLE (Institute for Continuing Legal Education), MSU Management Education Center, Troy MI, July 26th, 2005-5.25 Hrs
- Best Case Bankruptcy Reform Update-Chicago Marriott, Chicago IL, July 28th, 2005, 1 Hr
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA), Fighting Back: Helping Debtors Survive the New Bankruptcy Law, A Bankruptcy Practice Workshop, July 29th 30th, 2005, Chicago Marriott Hotel Downtown Magnificent Mile, Chicago IL.-13.5 Hrs
- New Code Consumer Bankruptcy Association Meeting: Are you a Debt Relief Agency? Chief Judge Steven W. Rhodes, August 25th, 2005, 215 S. Washington, Royal Oak MI 48067. 1.5 Hrs
- New Code Consumer Bankruptcy Association Meeting: NACTT National Association of Chapter Thirteen Trustees Video Presentation: BAPCPA, Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act, September 20th, 2005, 215 S. Washington, Royal Oak MI 48067. 1.5 Hrs
- New Code Consumer Bankruptcy Association Meeting: Group Presentations: Domestic Support Obligations Group, Automatic Stay Group, Chapter 13 Issues/Plan Modifications/Model Plan Group: Adequate Protection Group, Local Rules/Case Law Monitoring: BAPCPA, Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act, September 27th, 2005, 215 S. Washington, Royal Oak MI 48067. 2.5 Hrs
- New Code Consumer Bankruptcy Association Meeting: Group Presentations: Valuations and Exemptions Group, Credit Counseling, Documentation and Reporting Group, Pre-Petition Credit Counseling Group: Discharge and Dismissal Group, Reaffirmation Issues Group: Co-Presenter Means Test Group: BAPCPA, Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act, October 11th, 2005, 215 S. Washington, Royal Oak MI 48067. 3.0 Hrs
- Best Case Bankruptcy Class on Means Test-Sheraton Hotel, Novi Michigan, November 11th, 2005, .5 Hr
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute Detroit Bankruptcy Conference “Practice Under the New Bankruptcy Law”, Sheraton Hotel, Novi Michigan, November 10-11th, 2005, 7.0 Hrs
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2006 Central States 13th Annual Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 16-19th 2006-8.5 CLE Credit Hrs.
- 2nd Annual Walter Shapero Bankruptcy Symposium with Featured Speaker Professor Margaret Howard from Washington & Lee University School of Law, September 7, 2006. 1.0 Hr.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2006 Central States 13th Annual Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 15-18th 2006-8.5 CLE Credit Hrs.
- BAPCPA One Year Later A Columbus Day Seminar, Sheraton Novi Hotel, October 9, 2006 7 Hrs.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2007 Central States 14th Annual Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 7 through 10th 2007-8.5 CLE Credit Hrs.
- 3rd Annual Walter Shapero Bankruptcy Symposium with Featured Speaker Professor Scott Norberg, October 17, 2007, Westin Hotel, 1500 Town Center, Southfield MI .45 hour.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2007 Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, Detroit Marriott Troy, November 12, 20078 6.5 Hrs
- Financial Issues in Commercial Litigation & Business Bankruptcies: Using Evidence and Expert Witnesses in Business Bankruptcy Proceedings, First Floor Multi-purpose room Theodore Levin United States Courthouse, Federal Bar Seminar, Detroit MI. February 6th, 2008, 4 hrs.
- FEDERAL BAR ASSOCIATION DETROIT CHAPTER - BANKRUPTCY SECTION AND CONSUMER BANKRUPTCY ASSOCIATION, BANKRUPTCY TRIAL ADVOCACY WORKSHOP, FEBRUARY 28-29, 2008, U.S. BANKRUPTCY COURT AND U.S. COURTHOUSE Room 115 in the U.S. Courthouse, 231 W. Lafayette Blvd., Detroit, Michigan, February 28th and 29th, 2008, 4 Hrs.
- Bench and Bar Seminar on the New Eastern District of Michigan Local Bankruptcy Rules presented by EDM Judges, April 11, 2008, Trott Financial Center, 31440 Northwestern Highway, Farmington Hills MI 48334, Consumer Section, 1 Hr. 45 minutes.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2008 Central States 15th Annual Bankruptcy Workshop, Traverse City, MI-June 12 through 15th 2008-10.8 CLE Credit Hrs.
- State Bar of Michigan, Tips and Tools for a Successful Practice Seminar, Lansing MI, November 5th, 2008, 7 Hrs.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2008 Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, Detroit Marriott Troy, November 11, 2008 5.5 Hrs.
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association Seminar Dinner, LIEN STRIPPING IN CHAPTER 13 CASES, April 2, 2009, 215 S. Washington, Royal Oak MI 48067. 1.5 Hrs
- 21st Annual Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Section Seminar, July 23rdthru July 25th, 2009, Crystal Mountain Resort, Thompsonville MI 6.00 Hrs
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association Seminar Dinner: Views from the Bench of Eastern District of Michigan September 24, 2009, 215 S. Washington, Royal Oak MI 48067. 1.5 Hrs
- United States District Court-Eastern District of Michigan, Foreclosure Prevention Training, October 29, 2009, Theodore Levin U.S. Courthouse, 231 W. Lafayette Blvd., Room 115, Detroit MI 48226 6.5 Hrs.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2009 Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, Dearborn MI, Hyatt Regency Dearborn, November 11, 2009 6.25 Hrs.
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association Seminar Dinner: Various Consumer Bankruptcy Topics: UPDATE: IRS vs. CHAPTER 13 TRUSTEES * ISSUES PERTAINING TO TAX REFUNDS SUBJECT TO GARNISHMENT, INCLUDING: THE ARNOLD CASE, AUTOMATIC STAY ISSUES, THE NOVATION THEORY, AVOIDING LIENS AND MORE. January 28th, 2010, 215 S. Washington, Royal Oak MI 48067. 1.5 Hrs
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association & The Institute of Continuing Legal Educations Consumer Bankruptcy Institute, April 19, 2010, The Inn at St. John’s Plymouth, Michigan, Recent Developments in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy 6.0 Hrs.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2010 Central States 17th Annual Bankruptcy Workshop, Grand Traverse Resort, Traverse City, MI-June 18 through 20th 2010-10.8 CLE Credit Hrs.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2010 Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, Sterling Heights MI, Best Western Sterling Inn, November 11, 2010 6.25 Hrs.
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association & The Institute of Continuing Legal Educations Consumer Bankruptcy Institute’s 2nd Annual Consumer Bankruptcy Institute: Updates, Strategies and Judicial Insights, April 1, 2011, The Inn at St. John’s Plymouth, Michigan, 6.0 Hrs.
- Contributing Speaker, Consumer Bankruptcy Association & The Institute of Continuing Legal Educations Consumer Bankruptcy Institute’s 2nd Annual Consumer Bankruptcy Institute: Updates, Strategies and Judicial Insights, April 1, 2011, The Inn at St. John’s Plymouth, Michigan: Ethics in Bankruptcy Practice: Avoiding Conflicts, Problems and Malpractice. 1.0 Hrs.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2011 Detroit 7th Annual Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, MGM Grand Detroit, Michigan, November 11, 2011 6.00 Hrs.
- Consumer Bankruptcy Association & The Institute of Continuing Legal Educations Consumer Bankruptcy Institute’s 3rd Annual Consumer Bankruptcy Institute: Updates, Strategies and Judicial Insights, May 11, 2012, The Inn at St. John’s Plymouth, Michigan, 6.0 Hrs.
- ABI American Bankruptcy Institute 2012 Detroit 8th Annual Consumer Bankruptcy Conference, MGM Grand Detroit, Michigan, November 12, 2012 6.00 Hrs.